<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/9033545?origin\x3dhttp://jubilationdolor.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>




Scribbling [a] Runaway History


Like Shakespeare in Love


Hello (:

I'm Sylvia. I enjoy the company of good friends and food.
I'm currently,
serving as a chair at Teck Ghee Youth Executive Committee;
chasing dreams at Molehill;
and doing Marketing & Public Relations at Levitate Studios.

Join my endeavors with the following:
Singapore Open Gaming Convention 2015
SG50 Countdown Party @ Bishan Park
via Teck Ghee YEC and social media!

Drop a note and say hello if you'd like! (:
my Instagram
my Facebook
my Twitter
Email me.


Sylvia Phua
Sylvia Phua
Create yours here.

Photobucket



' + ' ' ' '



Monday, 27 September 2010
Hearts on Latter
I realized my memory span fluctuates a lot. And I've been caught mumbling to myself a lot today by my colleagues, and they'd laugh. But I wasn't mumbling nonsense like an idiot. I was just repeating orders in my head, recalling details from customers and memorizing the menu and the daily antipasti selection menu together with all the other 86 items.
Interestingly, I'm really loving the job I'm in somehow.

Ran food and drinks today - and made friends. The sous chefs were really cranky during Brunch. Every thing I did, even staring at the dockets that were printed got them jumping on their feet with rocket leaves or steak in their hands. But they were really funny. The messy and hectic scene in the kitchen was something almost every one dreaded. I dread it too at some point of time in the day, but I soon found joy in staring at the chefs do their thing. They worked in perfect harmony. The eggs, sausages, tomatoes, toast, and salads were all created by different chefs at their individual counters. But they always seem to know when the next dish was coming up the next moment and exactly when they had to put their own ingredient one after another to fire up the right course for each table. I often found myself staring in awe of their teamwork. No matter how upset or hectic it was, they kept prepping each other up to maintain standards of quality for their food. And they never compromised quality for the sake of rushing orders out. But of course, I must admit, they were really quick, and good.

The barista team today was really huge. And they got me realllly confused for a bit. Add on the fact that they really loved to tease and make jokes whilst working. Gosh. Listening to them whilst keeping track of drinks and getting them served to the right tables became much of a challenge. Still, they were always keen to make sure they did their drinks well.

One motivation could be the Barista competition which was coming up soon during the company's dinner. Apart from the beautiful foam art that was required and always expected from each cup of coffee that came with milk or froth, the judges should be looking out for the aroma of the coffee - that would come from the right amount of coffee powder pumped into the espresso machine, the right amount of coffee inside the drink to make the right taste, the amount of milk and froth, the right temperature, and the right texture. I've served up watery lattes, thick foamy lattes, and lattes that were just perfect (as long as the customer sees no need in stirring the cup of coffee, you know the barista got it right). That was all I learnt from running drinks. I couldn't be inside the bar to know more about the art of coffee making just yet. But I'm anticipating.

Felt really light headed today too. I was floating much around the workplace. Really grateful for the many slices of cakes and pastry we had due to wrong orders keyed in by our fellow mates - not by mistake, but by miscommunication on the customers' part. The most common mistake made by customers today was identifying the brownie as a chocolate fudge cake. So they always ordered the chocolate fudge but never got the brownie they wanted. Blind bats they are. And they never trusted us much, come to think of it. They never believed that the label on the brownie was brownie, and they always say 'I thought you labeled it wrongly.' Sigh. But still, the cakes prepped me up a lot. I got really upset with myself when I broke a glass while I was thinking about duck pasta at the bar station. The salami slices and the smoothies my colleagues made for me really cheered me up though. And they kept telling me it was really normal to break stuff anyway (but of course I know they were reallly just consoling me). My new friends were also really fun to talk to. So I made a couple more Ngee Ann friends. And a doctor to be from Hwa Chong. And another culinary student from Malaysia.

Competition for customers became really tight at night. Families would just stroll in, read the menu and head out to Magaritas or Domes or Long Beach. We figured that most people are looking for pizzas and pasta and burgers when it came to dinners at Dempsey, and Jones just didn't get it.

Making out on the bar top counters seemed to also be the new in thing for Jones' customers. Sweet couples, really.

And dogs at Jones are also getting cuter. They come without leashes and often run up to us to beg for food and water. We'd drop them crackers or meat and bones with the permission of their owners. And sometimes they'll share their stash with their new found friends at the next table. That was the spirit Jones tries to inculcate within their premises. Its like their communal dining concept adopted from Australia. Bet my manager would be so glad even dogs are getting the gist of it. HAHA.

Rest days coming up before a full week of Breakfast schedules. :D

-

The uncertainty of what the future may bring keeps me anxious. The possibilities I face with each passing day draws me closer to the fact that I may fail in what I've set myself up for. Nonetheless I optimistically note that the faith I keep is sufficient to last me throughout.

Now it seems like change is something I'd want to resist very much. What if it changed? Would it be for the better or for the worse? And suddenly, the only things that matter, becomes the variety of outcomes that I may encounter. I suppose the things I do, feel, react and behave each day would play a part in creating the desired outcome. So I guess the best way to start was to carry that positive mindset and always keep faith (as usual).

Right syl. Keep faith. Phew!
Sent via BlackBerry from SingTel!