<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/9033545?origin\x3dhttp://jubilationdolor.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>




Scribbling [a] Runaway History


Like Shakespeare in Love


Hello (:

I'm Sylvia. I enjoy the company of good friends and food.
I'm currently,
serving as a chair at Teck Ghee Youth Executive Committee;
chasing dreams at Molehill;
and doing Marketing & Public Relations at Levitate Studios.

Join my endeavors with the following:
Singapore Open Gaming Convention 2015
SG50 Countdown Party @ Bishan Park
via Teck Ghee YEC and social media!

Drop a note and say hello if you'd like! (:
my Instagram
my Facebook
my Twitter
Email me.


Sylvia Phua
Sylvia Phua
Create yours here.

Photobucket



' + ' ' ' '



Tuesday, 17 August 2010
Crumble.
Something I stumbled upon a few minutes back kept me thinking. A quote from an English writer, Cyril Connolly.

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Have I been writing in view of the opinions that the public might have of me after reading, or have I been scribbling true thoughts that regards nothing more than that of my own opinions? Have I lost myself in a bid to satisfy the world's perception and expectations of me?

Been struggling pretty much with myself recently. My lack of judgement. My consistently malfunctioning brain. My screwed up emotions. My indecisiveness. My escape routes just get longer and longer each day. So I keep digging in the wrong hole. Keep moving forward in the wrong direction. But who am I again to determine what's wrong and right?

Dwelling too much on how every little action of mine would cause certain reactions from the people around me. Then I start to focus too much on reacting to such reactions that I forget how I even derived the basic need to act on my own accord. What happened to wants and needs - when did I start to classify everything that I wanted as a selfish thought? How foolish.

So what if I were stressing upon every decision I make right now. Would I remember all these in the days ahead? Would it matter in the months to come? Occasionally I would pause to ponder about all the consequences that I may face with each decision I make. And no matter how small it was, I needed to be sure that I was making one with complete confidence and that it would lead to a favorable outcome. But somehow or another, I became less and less confident of the decisions I were to make. Was I becoming dumber to make wiser decisions? Or what?

There seems to be more to life than to constantly increase its speed. Having drowned myself with endless commitments and catching up with my over packed schedule over the past two years seemed nonsensical enough. Now slowing down has left me with tonnes of consequences I've yet to face. Its tough to say No, seriously. Busying myself is addictive - but exhaustive. Started to lose sight of the vision I used to have for my future. Kinda forgot when I started to live just for the expectations of the people up and above.

Even as I struggle to pick up the pieces of the mess that I somehow created along the way today, I realized the only person who could make a difference in my life, was me. To a certain extent, I even started to understand that the only change I could make to the world, was a change in myself. I began to feel very much upset with myself - knowing how little I have done, and how much more I could have done for the world that I live in. A big thank you to Gandhi for his wise words.

Maybe the best time to do something was some time back - but I guess the second best time to do anything that I could have done is Now.

Basically, all that I have strove for since 2 years before have come to naught with a single wrong step I decided to take in haste. Been living in self denial and criticism for a much longer period of time than I took count of. Shame and self pity comes along for most of it. The best way to describe this period of time was Hell on Earth - though I did experience sheer moments of pleasure and delight with the people I love in fleeting bits amidst my hellish crisis.

Now I'm starting to self destruct - a pretty good deal in exchange for a greater goal in the weeks to come. It shouldn't take long to be destroyed completely. I know every critical point I need to breakdown before I am completely broken. The only delay is the fear I would experience when taking that step towards exposing my core. This fear I have is almost indescribable. It was what drove me to building all the walls around myself - to become who everyone else wanted me to be. In essence, I just wasn't Sylvia.

I wonder how much this fear would break me from within, but no matter - I'm gonna crumble anyway. Knowing how much this fear of losing the things I took pride in holding on to was just enough to kill me - I believe that this step would only be the first of many I would need to take in the years to come. Besides, no matter how much that emotion would drive me mad, I know it wouldn't kill me just yet. I'm still going to live somehow. Its just how much I let that pride and hurt get to me. All in the state of my mind.

My first step starts tomorrow. Gonna take the morning and noon to pluck courage to take that step forward. I know how much persuasion, discomfort and guilt I'll be put through. No matter - I need to stand firm. Yes, I will let some people down. I will disappoint them in many areas. Maybe they'll feel shorthanded. Maybe even shortchanged. Feel angry, frustrated or confused. May they live and let live. Because I know the only person that I will disappoint the most should I continue this journey I was led to take on, is myself. And for who else should I live my life for? Utterly grateful for the best mates I have with me - I know they'll watch over me as I pull through.

They say that motivation and excellence is a habit. And habits are to be cultivated over time - like a repetitive cycle over various different routes. So I need to start from the basics. My only saving grace is the start of a new semester in a totally new environment - away from the hustling lifestyle I once led back in school. May this change spur some new emotions, shed some new light, and refresh my perspective of the world yet again. Maybe serving others would be the best way for me to discover who I really am again. And now I'm looking forward to this change in my reality - where I'm faced with totally new and different responsibilities.

Leaving all the clutter behind. Cheers to all the wanderers in the world who're just like me. At least we're wandering, and not entirely lost.