Like Shakespeare in Love
Hello (:
I'm Sylvia. I enjoy the company of good friends and food.
I'm currently,
serving as a chair at Teck Ghee Youth Executive Committee;
chasing dreams at Molehill;
and doing Marketing & Public Relations at Levitate Studios.
Join my endeavors with the following:
Singapore Open Gaming Convention 2015
SG50 Countdown Party @ Bishan Park
via Teck Ghee YEC and social media!
Drop a note and say hello if you'd like! (:
my Instagram
my Facebook
my Twitter
Email me.
Sylvia Phua

Create yours here.

| ' ' | ||
Sunday, 26 September 2010
Forgotten Groceries and the Wait-er
Dawned on me that I had to pen this down before I really sleep off my night.Forgotten Groceries and the Wait-er
Was tasked to handle an entire station today with 10 tables. It was a pretty exciting task for me, considering it was only my 3rd day at work. And the responsibility was large enough for me to be proud of. Anyhoos, customers today were fun, probably because they were mostly Caucasians. They were really fun to talk to, and they made my afternoon really enjoyable - especially since I was legally chatting with customers of Jones, and not staff of Jones. Closing was really hectic, felt it was a little more challenging than the breakfast crowd. It was probably because we had to keep turning down guests who still wanted to get desserts and drinks when the bar has closed. Maybe it was still easier to say yes or give them some hope and possibility, than to say no entirely. Just being typically Sylvia down here.
Met a couple of interesting people too. One was an Australian graduate. Another a Singaporean entrepreneur. A pair of Hong Kong couples with strange entangled ties. Three families with children in Secondary school. And Paresh. These people made the biggest impression today. And since its about people, and Jones' customers, I shall keep my views of them and any other opinion, emotion, feeling or thought within my diary.
The last thing that stirred me to blog was this sentence my colleague Dominic planted in me today during dinner break. He said something like this, 'You just started, so you'll naturally be excited to do everything and anything. But wait a little longer; once you find out the politics and happenings around Jones, and the promises they often break, you'll just lose that thing for the job.
So it struck me reallll hard. Was I going to be like my colleagues, cursing and swearing at every single thing that goes wrong within the cafe? Would I be so unhappy going to work and lose that passion to be proactive in serving the customers who love Jones? Would I start to dread talking to customers and giving them my best? Will I start to skive and avoid responsibilities? Will I ultimately become one of them?
That thought really sucked. The thought of me not being able to hold out through the 6 months with the same sort of passion I still carry for the job. I still like the place. Still love the people. Still happy to serve customers. And still excited when I anticipate the type of customers I would get during my shift. But what if one day all the excitement fades and I was never happy with the people in the place? That's me being absolutely pessimistic.
All I know is, I'm aiming for the perfect GPA this semester. And I want to get that score from my boss, without any form of hesitation or doubt. I want it straight from him without any reluctance. I want him to award me that score because he simply had no choice but to. And to attain that, I have to put it that amount of effort to achieve it. Besides, the thought of me not being to hold out on the job with the same kind of passion frightens me. That fear lingers on and on because I know it was also a test of endurance and determination. And it also susses out just exactly how much something would mean to me.
So there. *phew* At least I let it out before I slept tonight.
ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE ELSE AND ME ON ANY JOB. Syl shall be prove the world wrong! :D

