Like Shakespeare in Love
Hello (:
I'm Sylvia. I enjoy the company of good friends and food.
I'm currently,
serving as a chair at Teck Ghee Youth Executive Committee;
chasing dreams at Molehill;
and doing Marketing & Public Relations at Levitate Studios.
Join my endeavors with the following:
Singapore Open Gaming Convention 2015
SG50 Countdown Party @ Bishan Park
via Teck Ghee YEC and social media!
Drop a note and say hello if you'd like! (:
my Instagram
my Facebook
my Twitter
Email me.
Sylvia Phua

Create yours here.

| ' ' | ||
Sunday, 14 September 2008
the Youth Olympics 2008
I was just about to turn in when my hp buzzed. It was actually YUANYUAN! It wasn't exactly a shock nor a surprise, but more of discomposure, since I realized I totally forgot to accomplish what I promise I'd do. oops. the Youth Olympics 2008
But it was a really simple task, really. He just needed just one more page on the Feelings and Expectation of the Youth Olympic Games 2010 from a youth.
This really reminded me of the susheee outing. While waiting for people to arrive, a group of teens interviewed me on my views on the Youth Olympics too. So it struck me as something really odd when YUANYUAN got me to do the same thing, only difference with it being a written document. Oh wells. I took about 20 minutes to type it out on MS Word 07, and when I was done, I couldn't believe what I wrote. HAHA.
Singapore is selected as the host for the first ever, inaugural Youth Olympics Games in the Year 2010. It was really a moment to remember as Singaporeans young and old, stared at the television screen, with much anxiety as the President of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge officially announced the results from the selection. As a youth sitting at the back of the SBS Bus, I punched my fists into the air as I heard the results, along with several other passengers who all shared the same form of anxiety. Having the Youth Olympics held right here, in our homeland, was a great boost to the pride of all Singaporeans, young and old.
The Youth Olympics is a junior version of the Olympic Games, where teens aged 14-18 will compete to bring their country glory and of course, to themselves, that sense of self achievement. Upon realizing that Singapore would be hosting the Games in 2010, as a youth, I was almost motivated to pick up a sport, try to excel in it, and reach international standards to compete to make my nation proud. Big dreams do devour me some times though, but at least with that increase in awareness that millions of youths out there are doing sports and excelling in them, it has spurred me to pick up a sport, and lead a healthy lifestyle.
The Youth Olympics has also brought to the attention of many youths, the kind of sportsmanship one should have while doing sports. Winning is glorifying, but losing with humility is yet another virtue many youths should keep in mind when growing up as they face numerous obstacles and setbacks in their growing years. Ever since Singapore was selected as the host for the Youth Olympics 2010, I have seen an increase in the number of children who picked up at least one sport in my residential neighborhood. The badminton court beside the void deck is always bustling with young children with badminton racquets, the football court is packed with budding Beckham wannabes and the fitness corner now has more teens than elderly who train their abs and muscles. It is really particularly pleasant to know that more parents are encouraging their children to take up sports with all that sporting events on the rise.
Having watched athletes compete at the actual Olympics, all that drive and passion for the sport they were taking part in really captured my attention as I watched their performance on screen; and I expect even more from the Youths taking part in the Youth Olympics in 2 years to come. Youths are younger, more vibrant and energetic, and with that youthful passion in them, it is not too much to expect more world records to be broken by the Youths rather than the adults who participated in the Olympic Games recently. The youths who will participate in the Youth Olympics in 2 years to come will bring about so much joy and dynamism that Singaporeans will definitely be enthralled with as we witness the emergence of new athletes with eminent potential.
I suppose, not only I, but many other Singaporeans share the same views as I do. The Youth Olympics in 2010 would be a spectacular and mind blowing event, as fresh and young sportsmen gather to prove to the world, what difference youths can make.
LOL. honestly, it wasn't entirely lies. I WAS motivated to lead a healthy lifestyle - by visiting the gym with ZY, Flo, Ruth, Aggy and Val more often, NOT by picking up a new sport and try to excel in it. btw, punching my fists in the air in the bus was just crap. I WAS watching it in an SBS Transit Bus, but who the heck in the right mind would attempt such an embarrassing stunt in the midst of so many people in a public vehicle?! HAHA! Oh goodness. Liar Liar. I hope my pants wouldn't catch fire. x))
Goodnight People; cause I'm off to bed with more panadols again.

